Effective Date: 08/1/2015
Sarah Lawrence College is committed to providing a smoke-free environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
Effective August 1, 2015, Sarah Lawrence College will maintain an environment where students, employees, and visitors are not exposed to secondhand smoke. Therefore, smoking is prohibited on all College-owned and College-managed property in New York State, hereafter referred to as “College property,” both indoors and outdoors. This includes but is not limited to:
- All buildings on the Sarah Lawrence College Bronxville campus, including but not limited to classrooms, lecture halls, residences, residence halls, apartments (excluding legacy tenants of Hill House), laboratories, faculty and administrative offices, work areas, study areas, reception areas, meeting rooms, lobbies, hallways, stairwells, elevators, eating areas, lounges, and restrooms
- All outdoor spaces on the Sarah Lawrence College Bronxville campus including but not limited to lawns, patios, terraces, fields, open land areas, parking lots, garages, athletic venues, outdoor paths, bridges, and wooded areas (city-owned streets and sidewalks are excluded from this policy)
- All partially enclosed areas including but not limited to covered and uncovered walkways, breezeways, loading docks, building entrances, exterior stairways, and landings
- All vehicles owned and leased by Sarah Lawrence College or its affiliated organizations
- All off-site locations, buildings, and/or properties leased and managed by Sarah Lawrence College in New York State
Organizers of and attendees at all events, such as conferences, meetings, lectures, social events, cultural events, and athletic events, including property rentals using College property, will be required to abide by the Sarah Lawrence College Smoke-Free Policy. In addition:
- The sale of tobacco and/or vapor products, including but not limited to cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipes, beedies, kreteks, water pipes, vapor pipes, bongs, and hookahs, is not permitted on College-owned and College-managed property.
- The free distribution of tobacco and/or vapor products at College events or to College organizations by vendors or organizations is not permitted.
- Tobacco- or vapor-related advertising or sponsorship is not permitted.
- Tobacco- or vapor-related advertising is permitted in newspapers or magazines not produced by the College and which are lawfully sold, bought, or distributed on College property.
Health risks associated with smoking are well documented. Research findings show that tobacco use, including smoking and breathing secondhand smoke, constitutes a significant health hazard. National studies also found that smoking contributes to institutional costs including increased medical costs, lost productivity in the workplace, fire damage, cleaning, and maintenance.
This policy applies to all members of the College community including but not limited to faculty, students, and staff—including those employed through contract agencies, contractors, vendors, and contracted parties. This policy applies to all guests, visitors, and any other individuals while on College property.
Secondhand Smoke and/or Vapor - a mixture of the smoke and/or vapor given off by the burning or heated element of products including but not limited to cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipes, beedies, kreteks, water pipes, vapor pipes, bongs, and hookahs, and the smoke and/or vapor exhaled from the users of these products
Smoking - burning and/or heating any type of matter or substance that contains tobacco and/or nicotine including but not limited to cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipes, beedies, kreteks, water pipes, vapor pipes, bongs, and hookahs
Tobacco-Related - applies to the use of a tobacco brand or corporate name, trademark, logo, symbol, motto, selling message, recognizable pattern or colors, or any other indicia of product identical to or similar to, or identifiable with, those used for any brand of tobacco products or company that manufactures tobacco products
College Property – New York State property or facilities owned, managed, maintained, leased, or controlled by Sarah Lawrence College
Compliance and Enforcement
Effective implementation of this policy depends on the mutual respect and cooperation of all members of the Sarah Lawrence College community.
Failure of students, faculty, or staff to comply with this policy will result in a $100 fine for the first violation, a $200 fine for the second violation, and a $300 fine for each subsequent violation per academic year. In addition, an indoor violation by a resident student will result in housing probation for one year. All reports of student violations shall be referred to the Office of Student Affairs. All reports of faculty and staff violations shall be referred to the Office of Human Resources.
Visitors, Guests, Volunteers, Trainees, Vendors, Contracted Parties, and Supplemental Staff employed through contract agencies:
These individuals are expected to observe the Sarah Lawrence College Smoke-Free Policy. College employees, event coordinators, and sponsors/hosts of events held at the College are responsible for notifying individuals of the policy, including the restrictions on the sale or distribution of tobacco products. Individuals who smoke will be requested to extinguish the cigarette, electronic cigarette, cigar, pipe, etc. and will be informed of the policy. Refusal to extinguish or a repeated request to extinguish will constitute a violation of the policy and may result in removal from or denial of readmission to the building or event or removal from campus.
More information about the College's Smoke Free policy can be found here.