Sarah Lawrence College provides insurance coverage to protect the college from insurable losses which might significantly impact its financial condition. Insured protection includes damage settlements and legal assistance during litigation either in the form of reimbursement of costs or actual legal counsel. Risks are assumed without insurance where the impact is not considered significant or where cost economies can be realized by retaining or self-insuring the exposures. One of the functions of Risk Management is to assess what levels of loss the college can bear without insurance and how to finance other losses.

Sarah Lawrence neither accepts nor purchases insurance for activities unless they are directly related to the college’s mission and approved by the appropriate department head.

The following presents a brief description of the insurances purchased through Risk Management and the required conditions of coverage. It is important that you notify Risk Management to determine whether a particular incident of injury or damage is covered under these or other insurance policies. Questions may be directed to VP of Finance at 914-395-2524.

Automobile Liability and Physical Damage

Covers the college’s statutory liability for damages owed to third parties arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of any automobile, whether owned or leased by the college plus some medical expenses incurred by passengers as a result of an accident in an insured vehicle. Also covers college-owned or long-term leased vehicles for property damage resulting from collision, theft, and other perils.

Deductible: $1000 per accident for physical damage due to collision and theft

Claims procedures:
  • All auto accidents should be reported to Operations as soon as possible. It is important to report any accident even if no claim has been made. Provide a full description of the event in addition to any police report or security report submitted to the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles.
  • If you are served with a lawsuit as a result of an auto accident involving a college-owned or rented vehicle, please forward the suit papers immediately to Risk Management in the Office of Human Resources. 

Short Term Rentals of Vehicles

Short term rentals of vehicles, usually for purposes of college business travel, should be arranged through use of the college’s corporate American Express Card. The American Express Card provides collision and liability coverage for the vehicle during the rental period. If the vehicle is not rented through the corporate card, the primary insurer for any damage or liability will be the individual’s personal auto insurance policy.

Commercial General Liability

Covers the college, its officers and employees, when acting on behalf of the college and within the scope of their duties, for legal liability that might result in damages owed to third parties as a result of insured occurrences (generally accidents). This insurance does not provide for automatic medical coverage to injured visitors, or for replacement of their damaged property. In order for coverage to attach, liability on the part of the college must be demonstrated. Coverage is not extended to individual employees or officers if the loss or injury is a result of a malicious or intentional act.

Insured incidents can include, but are not limited to, complaints about employment situations or claims for bodily injury or damages occurring on our grounds or while attending a college sponsored event.

Claims procedures:

All claims, i.e. any demands for money or services by third parties as a result of any alleged incident, should be reported immediately to Risk Management in the Office of Human Resources by the responsible party within the college. All legal papers (i.e. summons and complaint) should be sent immediately to Risk Management. Any events or situations that might result in a claim should also be reported immediately. If in doubt call Risk Management to determine whether the event or situation merits reporting.

All accidents should be reported to Security as soon as possible. If you witness or become aware of an accident which may result in a claim against the college, we recommend that you report the circumstances of the injury to Risk Management immediately. The report should include the following details about the incident:

  • Name/address/phone number and college affiliation, if any.
  • Location of incident and date of loss.
  • Date of notification and name of college official notified.
  • Narrative description of incident and subsequent loss.
  • Name and phone number of all witnesses.
  • Information regarding involvement in any way of any contractor or subcontractor.
  • Current location of damaged property (do not to discard anything).
  • Photos of the damaged property or injury, if possible.
  • In compiling the required information for a claim submission, it is not advisable for you to speak to the claimant. If you do speak to a claimant or potential claimant, do not make any admissions of fault or any promises of payment.

Property Insurance

  • Property covered: All owned or leased buildings, contents and equipment, as well as property owned by others for which the college is liable.
  • Property excluded: personal property of students, employees or other third parties. Loss of currency is not insured.
  • Covered losses: Loss due to damage from fire, explosion, theft, smoke, vandalism, flood, earthquake.
  • Excluded losses: Loss to property resulting from wear and tear or lack of maintenance though consequential damage may be covered.
  • Coverage amounts: Cost to repair or replace with property of like kind and quality, depreciated cash value, if the property is not replaced.
  • Deductibles: $25,000 per loss, except for flood and earthquake claims which have a $50,000 deductible.
  • Claims procedures: Notify Risk Management in the Office of Human Resources of the loss as soon as possible, preferably before cleanup has begun. Depending upon the type of loss, the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health may need to be notified. In the case of significant damage, it is important that Risk Management be notified within 48 hours, so that a claims representative can be contacted to tour the site. Notify Operations or Security to correct the condition causing the loss.

Professional Liability

Coverage for claims against college therapists, nurse-practitioners, athletic trainers and graduate students in the health fields who are conducting field work, so long as the action is within the scope of their duties. Coverage is not extended to individuals if the injury is a result of a malicious or intentional act.

Claims procedures: Notify Risk Management of the event immediately. Provide a full description of the situation and potential loss or damage.

Educators Legal Liability (Directors & Officers Insurance)

Coverage for defense and payment of legal liability that might result in damages owed to third parties as a result of claims against directors and officers of the college, including implicated employees, for actions within the scope of their duties. Also coverage for losses or damages as a result of claims against the administration of the employee benefits plans.

Claims procedures: All claims or potential claims should be reported immediately to Risk Management in the Office of Human Resources. Any events or situations that might result in a claim should also be reported immediately. If in doubt call Risk Management to determine whether the event or situation merits reporting (914-395-2365).

Workers Compensation and Employers Liability

The Workers' Compensation Law of the State of New York prescribes benefits payable to workers suffering injury or illness arising out of employment. These benefits are payable regardless of fault or contributory negligence.

Claims procedures: All accidents must be reported to Human Resources by the faculty or staff member or the supervisor as soon as possible after the injury occurs. State Law requires notice to the Worker's Compensation Board within 10 days of the accident. Risk Management will make such notice.

Injured claimants will be contacted by the insurer to check on the extent of their injury or disability and to review the progress of their medical care.

If a faculty or staff member is injured on the job:

  • Get medical attention as soon as possible
  • Tell the doctor or hospital that you were injured at work. Make sure the doctor is authorized by the Worker’s Compensation Board to treat work-related injuries and will file all the necessary medical reports.
  • Do not pay the doctor or hospital and do not let them charge your medical treatments to your health plan. Save all receipts for treatments (emergency room prescriptions, etc.).
  • Advise the doctor to send the report (“C-4” form) and bills to: Chubb Insurance, policy #71721276. You must provide your department head and Human Resources with medical documentation (a doctor’s note) to cover your absence as well as keeping them updated with respect to your anticipated return to work date.

Certificates of Insurance

Description: A certificate of insurance is a document used to provide evidence that an entity is insured. The college is often requested by outside parties to provide evidence of Sarah Lawrence’s insurance in connection with business arrangements. Examples of situations where the college may be required to provide evidence of insurance are as follows: owners of premises or equipment rented or leased to the college, hospitals or other locations accepting students in clinical placement, equipment or fine arts on loan to the college for display or other usage.


To provide evidence of the insurance's maintained by the college:

  • Ask the requestor to put their insurance requirements in writing.
  • Send a written request to the Finance Office ( including: full name and address of the requestor, reason that the certificate is required to (a copy of the contract can be submitted for this purpose), mailing or other handling instructions, i.e., where the certificate should be sent.
  • On occasion the insurer may request additional information about the property, activity or event involved.

Vendors/Contractors Insurance Requirements

Sarah Lawrence requires that vendors and contractors working for the college have certain minimum amount of insurance. These requirements vary depending on the nature and hazard of the work being performed.

Procedure: If you are administering a contract or purchase order, you should request that the contractor or vendor provide evidence that it meets minimum insurance requirements. The contractor or vendor will send you a certificate of insurance. If you wish assistance in reviewing the certificate, send a copy to Risk Management in the Office of Human Resources with information on the nature of the work or service to be performed, and a copy of the contract or other document describing what insurances are required.