What is a MAC address and how do I find it?
Original Post: Tue 1/3/2012 at 8:46 PM
to the Start menu.
- Windows Vista or 7:
Choose "Start Search"
Press the "Windows Start key" to open the Start screen.
Note: You do not need to click on anything on the Start screen—typing will automatically initiate a program search.
the box that appears, type
black box will pop up. In it, type
the box will appear information about the different network cards installed in
your computer. Look for the information that appears under "Wireless Network
the information in the "Physical Address" field as the Physical (MAC)
Address above. It should be a series of 6 pairs of two characters (numbers and
letters a-f), seperated by dashes or colons.
Click "WiFi - Windows.pdf" below for a one-sheet quick guide.
- From the Home screen, choose Options > Device > Device and Status Information
- Look under Wif-Fi Information > WLAN MAC Address.
- Kindle Touch: tap Menu > Settings > Menu (again) > Device Info > Wi-Fi MAC Address.
- Kindle Fire: from the home screen, tap Settings > More > Device > Wi-Fi MAC Address.
- NOOKcolor: from the home screen, tap Settings > Device Info > about your NOOKcolor > Wi-Fi MAC Address.
- Nook Simple (black and white): from the home screen, tap Settings > Device Info > About Your NOOK > Wi-Fi MAC Address.
to the Apple menu, and choose "System Preferences."
"Internet & Network," click "Network."
the drop-down "Show" menu, select "Airport" or
either the "Airport ID" or "Wi-Fi ID" number as the
Physical (MAC) Address above. It should be a series of 6 pairs of two
characters (numbers and letters a-f), seperated by dashes or colons.
Click "WiFi - Mac.pdf" below for a one-sheet quick guide.
Settings > General > About.
down and enter the "Wi-Fi Address" as the Physical (MAC) Address above.
- Make sure that you are NOT entering the Bluetooth address. This is the most common mistake people make when registering their devices.
- This varies by version number and by carrier.
- On most T-mobile phones, tap Settings > Wifi Settings > (Tap on the Menu button) Advanced > scroll down to "Mac Address".
- On most Verizon phones, tap Settings > About phone > Status > Wi-Fi MAC Address.
- On most AT&T phones, from the Home Screen, tap Menu > Settings > About Phone > Hardware Information > Wi-Fi MAC Address.
- If the MAC address is "Unavailable," you may need to turn WiFi on.
Mon 4/1/2013 at 10:38 AM by Jesus M Ayala