Anti-Virus is free to install for current students, faculty, and staff. These instructions apply to Windows XP, Vista, and 7 operating systems.
Installing an Anti-Virus Program
First, uninstall any other antivirus software currently on your computer, for example: Norton, McAfee, AVG. If prompted to reboot the computer, do so.
Here are links to some free Anti-Virus programs:
- Avast Anti-Virus (Mac & PC) — http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
- Avira Anti-Virus (PC) — http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
- Microsoft Security Essentials (PC) — http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
- Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition (Mac) — http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/free-mac-anti-virus/
- ClamXav (Mac) — http://www.clamxav.com/
For Staff and Faculty
If you have a previous version of Sophos Anti-Virus, you do not need to uninstall it before proceeding. The old version will be removed and replaced with the new version. Follow these steps.
- In a web browser, go to http://sophos.slc.edu:81/SophosRemote/savw_90_sa_sfx.exe.
- Enter your SLC network username and password (the password you use to log in to campus PCs and access your email). If you do not know this password, please see Help Desk.
- Choose to Run or Open the file.
- If prompted with a security warning, click Run.
- Sophos will begin extracting the files it needs after the download completes.
- The Sophos installation Wizard will begin. Click Next to start installation.
- Click Next to install to the default folder.
- Copy the following link and paste into the Address box to replace the text “Sophos”: http://sophos.slc.edu:81/SophosRemote/CIDs/S000/SAVSCFXP/
- Enter your SLC network username (as admin\username) and password twice (the information you use to log in to campus PCs and access your email).
- Click Next to confirm the selected options.
- Sophos will then begin the installation process. It will take a few minutes.
Once Sophos is installed, a blue shield will appear in your system tray next to the clock.
Periodically, Sophos will update itself in the background. The blue shield icon in the taskbar will flash green while the update is occurring: You must be connected to the internet in order to receive updates.
Sophos will run a full virus scan at 9 AM and 9 PM daily. The scan runs in the background, and will only give a report if any viruses are found.
Running a full virus scan
- To run a full system virus scan, first open Sophos by going to the Start menu, select All Programs, then Sophos, Sophos Anti-Virus, then select Sophos Anti-Virus.
- The Sophos control panel will open. Select Set up a new scan.
- Click the box next to My Computer so a checkbox appears next to it.
- Click Configure this scan at the bottom of the window.
- Select Extensive and make sure Scan inside archive files, Scan all files, and Scan for potentially unwanted applications are all checked.
- On the Cleanup tab, check Automatically clean up items that contain a virus and below, select Delete, and check Automatically clean up potentially unwanted applications.
- Click OK.
- Click Save and start.
At the conclusion of the scan, Sophos will report on what it finds.
Some errors may be reported when Sophos cannot read certain files. Those errors are generally nothing to worry about.
Sophos may report that it has shredded, quarantined, or deleted a file. This is good, it has been able to successfully clear you system of that virus.
If you receive the message that Sophos was unable to deal with a certain file where it found a virus, try restarting the computer and running another scan. If the virus is still unable to be eliminated, contact Help Desk for assistance.
Troubleshooting / FAQ
Why is there a red X over the Sophos icon next to my clock?
If a red X appears over the Sophos icon in the system tray, an update has failed. Please verify that you are connected to the internet, then double click the shield icon to try the update again. If a “could not connect to server” message appears or the red X persists, right click on the blue shield icon, select Configure Updating, and confirm that the fields are filled in correctly. If you’ve changed your network password, you must update your password in the Sophos Configure Updating screen.
Why is Windows Security Center reporting that my antivirus protection is out of date?
See the answer to #1 above. Also, if you have recently terminated your employment from Sarah Lawrence, Sophos will no longer update. At this point, you must purchase a commercial antivirus program and subscription.
I have a Mac. Is there antivirus protection for me?
Generally, having an antivirus application installed and running on a Mac is not as crucial as on a PC. Because of the larger market share that Windows PCs hold, viruses generally are not written to exploit Macs, so there is somewhat less of a threat. It is recommended, however, that you install Sophos for OS X. Also, run Software Update regularly and you will avoid most problems.
What if, after installation, Microsoft Anti-Spyware or another program asks if Sophos should be allowed to run or start up with my computer?
If Microsoft Anti-Spyware or any other program that monitors changes to your system asks if Sophos may run or start up, click OK or Yes to allow Sophos to start up and run.