Information of the 2019 Novel (New) Coronavirus:
Recently, a new coronavirus - 2019 Novel (New) Coronavirus - was detected in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. This coronavirus can lead to fever, cough and shortness of breath. There are hundreds of confirmed cases in China, including cases outside of Wuhan and additional cases being identified in a growing number of countries internationally, including the United States. Currently, we do not have any diagnosed or suspected cases on campus. The Health & Wellness Center remains available to clinically assess students, as well as answer questions and address concerns.
Human coronaviruses commonly cause mild-to-moderate illness in people. Symptoms can include: runny nose, headache, cough, sore throat, fever.
If you recently traveled to China and feel sick with fever, cough or trouble breathing, or you develop symptoms, you should:
- Seek medical care right away. Call ahead and tell them about your travel and symptoms.
- Avoid contact with others.
- Stay home if you’re ill and isolate yourself from roommates, except for seeking medical care.
- Avoid further travel until the illness resolves.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Wash hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. If unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
If you have symptoms or questions, please call the Health & Wellness Center (914-395-2350) and request to speak with a Medical provider. The Health & Wellness Center is open Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you should experience symptoms when the Health & Wellness Center is closed, call Westlands Desk and request to speak with the on-call doctor (available until 11 p.m. daily) or request transportation to the Emergency Room. Local Urgent Care Centers are also available in the surrounding community. A list of local Urgent Care Centers can be found online: http://my.slc.edu/urgentcare
Please call ahead of your visit, informing them of your travel history and symptoms.
For other health care resources, check the back of your health insurance card for telemedicine options and nurse hotline numbers.
Additional resources providing updated information on the Novel Coronavirus are:
World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/
Westchester County Health Department: https://health.westchestergov.com/