Be an empowered bystander: someone who actively promotes a culture of safety by standing up and responding when they witness situations that threaten the health and safety of others.
While no one can ever truly prevent themselves and others from becoming a victim of violence, there are some ways to act as an empowered bystander:
- Keep an eye on your drinks and the drinks of friends
- Refuse alcohol from common, open containers
- Go out as a group, leave as a group. Watch out for your friends.
- If you decide to leave with someone other than the people you came with, let your friends know where you're going, when you'll be back, and who you're going with.
- If you suspect that a friend has been drugged, call 911 immediately and be explicit with doctors in order to ensure proper medical care.